Hello Again

I spent the better part of the afternoon responding to comments from a year ago and deleting 16 948 junk emails from my inbox. That’s what happens when you forget to install a spam filter and then stop checking your email for months.

What’s happened in the past 16 months?

Well, my Spanish has improved – slowly, slowly, but ever onward.

I quit Tagalog.

I started Tagalog again.

I quit Tagalog.

I started Tagalog again.

I learned a bit of Esperanto, just for fun.

I quit Tagalog.

Six days ago I started learning Italian.

And I think I’m about to start Tagalog again.

While other languages have come and go, my one constant has been Spanish. I’ve now been learning Spanish for 2 years and 11 months. Some days I’ll binge watch Spanish TV for hours, and other days I’ll spend five minutes skimming over an article or two, but every day I do something.

Next year will be a big year for language learning. We’re planning on spending several months of immersion in Guatemala, with some travel around Central America. Before Guatemala, we’re going to rent a car and drive around Italy for 10 days, which is why I borrowed a half-dozen library books with some variation of “Learn to Speak Italian in Minutes a Day” in the title.

My head is full of ideas, and I miss spilling those ideas out on this blog. It’s been a long time since I’ve written. I’ve thought about reviving this space on several occasions, but I just never knew where to start.

Well, here I am…starting.

It’s time to open the drapes and blow away the clouds of dust in here!

15 thoughts on “Hello Again

1. Siskia

Welcome back, Stephanie!
    The other day I visited your blog for the first time in a while, and was sort of bummed to see you weren’t updating anymore, so it’s a nice surprise to see you back. Hope you have fun!

2. Paul

Hi Stephanie

Great to see you back. Your posts are always very interesting and informative. I’m learning Spanish myself so I’m always interested to see how your going with yours and what materials you are using. Glad to hear its going well.

1. Paul

Hi Stephanie

I’m happy enough with how my Spanish is going. I have been learning over two years now. I try to do a bit everyday but with work etc that can sometimes be a challenge. Progress is slow enough but that is ok with me. I’m not in too much of a rush hah (which is just as well). I do need to practice speaking it though as I am better at reading and listening.

1. Stephanie Post author

That’s great to hear, Paul! Reading and listening are definitely the easiest things to fit into the day. Have you thought about trying out a language exchange?

1. Paul

Hi Stephanie

Yes I have thought about that. I’d be guilty of putting it off but its definitely on my to do list. No point in learning a language that you can’t speak hah.

3. Ezza

Hello from the other side
    I must have emailed a thousand times

Sorry I couldn’t resist!
    I was wondering what you were up to and if you would continue blogging again. I hit the one year milestone since I met my iTalki teacher on Skype for the first time and I am still taking lessons from her. I’ve also just been in contact with a few people to do language exchanges over Skype.

Just want to say thanks because you had advised me to get a teacher and my language learning rapidly increased. Now I think I can only improve by listening and speaking and when I cannot, read. I’m around B1 of DELE with the hope of doing a C1 exam in a year and a bit once I’m “fluent”.

1. Stephanie Post author

Thanks for the update! I’m glad that you found a good teacher and are progressing well in your Spanish study. It’s always so encouraging to hear about other people’s learning. And…Adele song re-writes aside…did you really email me a bunch of time? Because that would be both embarrassing and very very possible (see: 16000+ emails in my inbox). I’m going to assume that you’re just joking so I don’t have to feel too bad. Ha!

4. Valeria

Hallo Stephanie,
    Nice to hear from you again!
    Because of your recommendation in the blog I started to learn Spanish on Fluencia and paid for one year course, the worker told me that you and me can both have extra month if I can give the recommender’s fluencia account email!
    Can you tell me your email address on fluencia?
    Thank you very much!

Valeria.

5. Jacqueline

I’m so excited to see you’ve begun posting again! I stumbled across your blog about six months ago when I first began the messy process of casually teaching myself Spanish, and it has been my number one go-to resource for links and inspiration. I’ve loved all your suggestions for free resources. I’m looking forward to your new posts, especially the ones about your Spanish book recommendations.

1. Stephanie Post author

Thanks so much for the kind words Jacqueline. (Although I’m a bit ashamed that a) I haven’t posted again since my “I’m posting again” announcement and b) it’s taken me 5 months to respond to your comment. Eep!)

6. Barbara

Hi,
    I don’t know why??? but I thought that you are a man. I’M glad that I found your blog bc I also try to learn Spanish, my first love was English and still is but Spanish is also magical for me. IT started when I was around 15 by watching Latinos tenelovelas . I understand more than I can speak. It’s easy for me to read Spanish words bc I read them the same way in Polish.